So the prequel to Sex and the City is…so far so great! Especially the second season now that Samantha’s been introduced. BT-dubs Lindsey Gort, the actress who plays young Samantha, is doing an incredible job. The faces, the attitude, the voice, everything is pretty spot on. All great things have cons though. The inconsistencies kind of bum me out. I think writers should respect that we or (maybe just I) will remember everything about the Sex and the City episodes and that when it differs in The Carrie Diaries, I (or maybe we) will be annoyed.
1. In SATC, Carrie says that her dad walked out on her and her mother when she was a toddler. However her young, lawyer father is not only present but really great to her and her younger sister, Dorrit.
2. Speaking of Dorrit, I don’t remember Carrie mentioning a younger sister in SATC.
3. In SATC, Carrie says that she lost her virginity to Seth Bateman in a “smelly rec room on a ping pong table” but in Carrie Diaries she loses it to Weaver not on a ping pong table but still in a rec room.
4. An episode of SATC was dedicated to a boy she dated in high school named Jeremy (played by David Duchovny). They have not once mentioned any kid by that name yet in TCD and I don’t think they will. It’s all about Sebastian.
5. One of the SATC movies said something about meeting Charlotte first or something but Samantha is the first one introduced to the viewers in TCD.
I am sure there are more but those are the ones that I caught quickly and can remember. I never read the books but apparently they aren’t inaccuracies and Candace Bushnell in fact wrote them with these weird loopholes but either way it is odd and annoying. Nonetheless, I’m used to it. I grew up watching sitcoms like Boy Meets World, Family Matters, and Saved by the Bell where characters would disappear or lose/gain a sibling out of nowhere without an explanation. I can deal with the dual life of Carrie Bradshaw because I enjoy the show. I heard it is on the verge of being cancelled but it better not be. Whenever I like something it gets cancelled. Don’t do this to me CW.